The suspense is thrilling and the romance is hot in Toni Anderson’s bestselling series, but among the twists and turns in plot, what secrets does the author hold? Dive into our 20 Questions where Anderson reveals hidden truths about her writing, her life, and her advice.
1.Your best virtue as an author.
Discipline. I probably put in twelve years of writing before I saw any commercial success as an author. I worked every day like it was a full-time job. Hours of toil and labor.
2. Your most quirky author habit.
I do a victory lap around the kitchen table when I reach the day’s word count target.
3. Your favorite quality in a protagonist.
4. Your favorite quality in an antagonist.
5. If you could ask any other author, past or present, a question who would it be and what would you ask?
Nora Roberts. How do you write so fast?
6. When you aren’t writing, you are____
Winter: watching Netflix or shoveling snow.
7. Your easiest book to write.
8. Your hardest book to write.
9. Your ideal writing place.
I’d love to move my current office equipment to a house overlooking the sea, but I love my current office.
10. Your favorite childhood book.
The Silver Brumby series by Elyne Mitchell
11. The book you’ve reread the most.
Probably The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook
12. Your favorite hero from literature.
Aragorn from Lord of the Rings.
13. Your favorite villain from literature.
Cruella Deville. She skins puppies. No one can get away with that nowadays!
14. The name of your autobiography.
Getting Away With Murder.
15. Your favorite comfort food.
16. First thing you do when you finish writing a novel.
Run around telling the family I’ve finished writing my novel, with the caveat “it still needs work.”
17. A secret talent you have.
I used to be able to draw and paint. It’s been awhile, but I still have a few pictures hanging on various walls.
18. Where have you always wanted to travel?
Everywhere. I think a top spot would be the Greek Islands. I love history and I love the water.
19. One tip for aspiring authors.
Take time to learn your craft. I’m not saying it’ll take you ten years, but it might. Don’t give up.
20. Puppies or kittens?
I’m actually allergic to kittens 🙁
About Toni Anderson
Toni Anderson is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, RITA® finalist, science nerd, professional tourist, dog lover, gardener, mom. Originally from a small town in England, Toni studied Marine Biology at University of Liverpool (B.Sc.) and University of St. Andrews (Ph.D.) with the intention she’d never be far from the ocean. Well, that plan backfired and she ended up in the Canadian prairies with her biology professor husband, two kids, a rescue dog, and a laid-back leopard gecko.
Toni started writing while pregnant with her first child and never stopped. Her greatest achievements are mastering the Tokyo subway, climbing Ben Lomond, snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef, and surviving fourteen Winnipeg winters (fingers crossed). She loves to travel for research purposes and was lucky enough to visit the Strategic Information and Operations Center inside FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C. in 2016, and she also got to shove another car off the road during pursuit training at the Writer’s Police Academy in Wisconsin. Watch out world!
Want to learn more about your favorite authors? Check out our series 20 Questions with… to get to know other bestselling authors!